A delicious and fluffy foccacia bread inspired by the magical Molly Weasley and her garden.
This recipe is:
- Easy to make
- No fuss
- Great way to impress guests
- Perfect bread to eat as a sandwich or with soups/salads
- Best served slightly warm out of the oven
FLOWER FOCCACIA RECIPE
Tip: please use a mixer with a dough hook and not by hand. This dough is a very wet and sticky one and almost impossible to do by hand without adding more and more flour.
500 grams of good quality bread flour
generous pinch of salt
7 grams of dried yeast
0,5 tsp white sugar
30 ml extra vergine olive oil
1 tsp dried Italian herbs
340 ml lukewarm water
- I love to give the yeast a head start before I start making the dough. Add your (340 ml) water, yeast and sugar to a bowl. Mix well and let it bubble up for at least 7-10 minutes.
- Take another bowl or the one from your mixer and add your bread flour, Italian herbs, oil and salt.
- Pour into the yeasty water and put the dough hook down.
- Kneed the dough for 12 minutes. Look how the dough transforms from a flour to an elastic down that shapes into anything.
5. Oil your bowl heavy with olive oil and cover the dough with a damp tea towel. Look for a warm spot in the house and let the bread proof for 1 hour.
6. After one hour come back to the dough. Do not hit all the air out while you transfer it to the cast iron pan. Oil the cast iron pan too (for sticking to the sides).
How to make the garden
I highly recommend using your own creativity and no-waste mentality that you use up what you have at home. I used:
- edible flowers
- curly parsley (the stalks are perfect for this garden assemble)
- tomato tapenade
- sliced carrots
- fennel seeds and flax seeds
The tomato tapenade and the flax seeds became the soil of the garden. You can add whatever you want in there, pesto, green olives, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds and so much more. Place the ingredients like so that you can grow out the parsley stalks and flowers out of the soil. This is great fun!
Let the dough rest again for five minutes. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius and put the cast iron pan with the bread into the oven. it will take 20-25 minutes to cook the bread until fluffy and golden brown.