A wonderful curry inspired by the Second Task of Harry Potter (Goblet of Fire)
This recipe is :
- A green Thai curry
- For all shrimp lovers
- Easy and quick
- Perfect for meal prep
Yield: for 4 hungry witches
- 300 grams of bamboo shoots (drain and rinsed)
- 3 green bell peppers
- 1 fennel
- 2 spring onions
- 3 limes + zest
- 2 cups of sugarsnaps
- 3 lime leaves
- 50 grams of vegan Thai curry paste
- 300 grams of vegan shrimps
- thumbsize piece of ginger
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1,5 tsp of dried mint + ground cumin
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 400 ml full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tsp spirulina powder
- 1\2 cup black rice
- 1 cup green freekeh
- salt and pepper
Thai basil, radish sprouts, chives, coriander, top of the fennel, fresh dill and lime wedges
- Start to cut your veggies first. So the fennel in half moons, bell pepper in slices and spring onions finely diced.
- Heat up a medium size cauldron with a shot of coconut/olive oil. Add the veggies to the pan with a pinch of salt.
- Adding a pinch of salt to the veggies, makes them break down easier. Stir and fry until softened.
- Grate in the ginger and add the dried spices (including the spirulina) to the veggies. Stir to combine.
- When your house is smelling great at this point, put the ground garlic into the cauldron as well. Fry everything off for a minute and then add the curry paste.
- Stir to combine and let those spices wake up in the heat.
- Grate in the zest of one lime and the juice of two to get all the spices from the bottom of the pan because there is all the flavour.
- Open up the coconut milk and pour into the fragrant curry mix. Also add the shrimps into the party and stir.
- Let the curry bubble away for ten minutes. On a low but steady heat.
- Meanwhile... Start to cook the freekeh and black rice. Look at the instruction of the package otherwise use one to one ratio. Always add salt to your water.
- Back to the curry. Have a taste at this point. Does it need more lime, salt or pepper?
- Add the bamboo shoots and sugarsnaps. I love mine very crispy so I let them cook for 2 minutes. Cook them longer if you prefer.
- Plate up the curry and garnish with all the greens. And mix the black rice and freekeh so you have both beautiful textured grains.
enjoy the magic
why did you mention 'vegan' thai curry paste?
In a lot of Thai dishes they use fish sauce, so find a brand that does not include that ingredient.
how long does this curry last in the fridge?
In a airtight container: 4 days
can i use something else instead of vegan shrimps?
Of course! Palm hearts are great. You can find those canned in every Asian supermarket. Tofu\tempeh or a whole roasted eggplant for example.
where can i find vegan shrimps?
Freezer aisle at your local Asian supermarket. I go to Amazing Oriental, my place to be.