My all time favorite savoury treat and British Classic: Vegan sausage rolls. I used to eat these a few times a week when I was a teenager, while having lunch breaks. Slightly warm in a paper bag. The fat stained the paper on the bottom. To me that is pure nostalgia. Since I went vegan I was craving them again and I thought it was time to create the ultimate recipe. Let me show you how to make it.
These sausage rolls are:
- Vegan and no magical creatures were harmed
- Perfect savoury treat or lunch
- Crispy and flaky
- Perfectly seasoned
- Great to share with friends
Yield: 8 sausage rolls
⚡4 sheets of vegan puff pastry
⚡ 200 grams of raw vegan mince meat (I used the brand Naturli)
⚡ 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
⚡ 1 drop of liquid smoke
⚡ 1 tsp marmite
⚡ salt + pepper to taste
⚡ 1,5 tsp dried thyme and oregano
⚡ 2 tsp smoked paprika
⚡ 1 tsp all spice
⚡ 1 tsp dijon mustard
⚡ 1 tsp tomato paste
⚡ 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
⚡ 4 cloves of garlic
Extra: baking paper
To brush the sausage rolls to make them golden brown from the oven: 40 ml oat cream
And over the top 1 sprinkled a mix of fennel, sesame and poppyseeds. 1 tsp from each.
- This is such an easy recipe. Let's start with getting your pastry sheets out of the freezer. Preheat your oven to 180 C.
- Take a large mixing bowl and add the vegan mince and all the spices and ingredients to the sausage meat. Mix with a spoon or with your hands.
- Form small and tight sausages and place on the left side of each pastry sheet. Fold over the pastry, over the sausage and seal the edges with a fork. Slice in half once and lay them on your baking sheet lined with baking paper.
- Brush the sausage rolls with oat cream and sprinkle over your seed mix.
- Bake the rolls for 25 minutes until golden brown. Eat them slightly warm or cold. Either way they won't last long because they are so good!
🧙♀️ Serve the rolls with ketchup or mustard
🧙♀️ ADD chili flakes if you want the sausage meat to be a little spicy
🧙♀️ The marmite in the recipe is vital for a umami flavour experience. You would not taste the actual flavour of marmite
🧙♀️ You can easily dubble up quantities for gatherings or parties.
You are sublime! Do you have a cookbook? Please make a cookbook! I would buy all the Harry Potter vegan magic you create! Also highly looking forward to the Honeycomb ice cream recipe!